The Project Green STOP aims to increase the number of green areas in cities, beginning with Sarajevo. Along with providing the aesthetics, the suitable planted greenery contributes to the reduction of PM particles in the air, while also serving as a platform to raise environmental awareness among the citizens.
The main goal of the project is to establish a representative green tram stop in the area of Centar Sarajevo Municipality in the period from February 2020 to August 2020.
Main objectives of this project are:
- Sequester carbon dioxide and pollutants in biomass
- Reduce storm-water runoff by retaining precipitation
- Filter air pollutants and capture airborne particles with attached air-monitor
- Create a positive contribution to biodiversity and habitats for birds and insects;
- Increase environmental awareness about the importance of green spaces, biodiversity and air pollution measures for prevention
The main benefits of the project underpin triple-bottom line, including: environmental, social and economic aspects.
- The most noticeable factor will be enhancement in air quality, filtering out of the PM particles and production of oxygen. Furthermore, storm-water retention and the ability to release the absorbed storm-water slowly leads to improvement of water quality, heat removal from the surrounding air through the evapotranspiration process as well as noise reduction. Additionally, the green roof transforms previously unused areas into economically sustainable areas, as well as durable roof that has positive psychological and social effect on dweller well-being.
- The accompanying environmental campaign will aim first and foremost to inform public on the benefits of the roof and its miniature ecosystem, as well as its contribution to the quality of life in Sarajevo. The promotional material at the station itself is followed by a web page containing detailed information on how every resident can contribute within their own residency.
- The economic benefits are visible in the greater trust of government and the environmental actions people are willing to support. Accordingly, maintenance cost reductions will bring long-term financial benefits, allowing for investments in other environmentally suitable infrastructure.