From December 10, 2023 to December 8, 2024, Fellows will design and implement their projects. Humanity in Action provides guidance, programming, and supervision through a virtual and on-site training and community building program throughout the year. Fellows draw upon their existing networks and the new connections they make to implement their projects. In the process, they build a unique and supportive community of changemakers.
The common denominator of our 2023/24 Fellows projects is that they all center on the theme of democracy and politics of memory. The way we remember and construct our past informs our identity, decision-making, and perspective. It shapes who we are, how we interpret where we come from, and the values that define us. But history has never been apolitical, and recently, it’s been increasingly weaponized. In some countries, memory is not a closed chapter.
Some of the questions we may engage with during the Fellowship include:
- Who gets to decide what is remembered and what is forgotten?
- How do different societies deal with past crimes or post-colonial questions?
- How do experiences of war and genocide change the equation?
- What role do history and memory play in accountability processes?
- How are historical narratives used to impact present-day political discourses and decision-making processes?
- How do the politics of memory change current political landscapes?
Together and individually, our Fellows explore an array of complex questions, develop responses, and implement tangible actions that reach broad audiences. Project implementation takes place in the European Union, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, or the United States.
To read about our past and current Landecker Fellows’ work in their respective communities, visit the Landecker Democracy News Page.
As part of the program, each Landecker Fellow receives a stipend of a total of 10,000 Euro (paid out in monthly installments). Additionally, they receive up to 5,000 Euro in seed funding for the implementation of their project idea. All training expenses are covered, as are travel and accommodation costs for the in-person Action Academy.